Posts with tag: risk assessments in rental property

Landlords Told not to do DIY Fire Risk Assessments

Published On: June 12, 2012 at 10:38 am


Categories: Landlord News

Tags: ,

A property specialist has urged landlords not to conduct their own fire risk assessments in their rental homes.

Chief Executive Officer of Belvoir, a residential letting specialist, Dorian Gonsalves, says: “Don’t even consider it; it could be fraught with danger.

Landlords Told not to do DIY Fire Risk Assessments

Landlords Told not to do DIY Fire Risk Assessments

“Few landlords understand the huge amount of legislation governing rented property these days. Fire safety issues have become so complicated and legislation covers so many different regulations for different types of property in different parts of the UK, that it’s no area for amateurs.

“Seek the advice and guidance of a professional, because the stakes are too high to go it alone.”1

Different types of rental accommodation, including new builds, conversions, studios, and Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) require their own particular fire safety assessments, and individual appraisals.

Some types must uphold regulations concerning shared facilities, and others will require fire doors, etc.

Electrical equipment, plugs and sockets, furniture and furnishing materials must also all adhere to product safety requirements.

Gas appliances can cause carbon monoxide poisoning, and also house fires. Electrical wiring must be checked, as they can cause firetraps in older properties.

Les Marratt, who owns the Sutton Coldfield branch of Belvoir, says: “There are so many different regulations that landlords who try to understand it all are running the risk of still keeping an unsafe property.

“Every landlords has a duty of care to tenants and that is central to the whole fire safety issue. If everything is checked that needs to be checked then they’re protected. But if they don’t honour that duty of care then landlords can expect a robust response from fire and rescue authorities who enforce regulations.

“Seek expert advice then, from local authorities, professional safety advisers, or experienced letting agents such as Belvoir, who help landlords to follow best practice.”1