Landlord News

HMO Landlord in Coventry Prosecuted over Fire Safety

Em Morley - May 11, 2015
HMO Landlord in Coventry Prosecuted over Fire Safety

HMO Landlord in Coventry Prosecuted over Fire Safety

A landlord in Coventry has been given a £3,350 fine due to their House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) lacking the necessary fire safety measures.

Junie Liu pleaded guilty to six offences under the Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (England) Regulations 2006.

Coventry City Council inspected the property after receiving a complaint about its conditions. The visit revealed four tenants living in the house, but none of the required precautions relating to fire safety.

Coventry City Council’s Head of Environmental Services, Craig Hickin, says: “HMOs, such as bedsits and shared houses, often have poorer physical and management standards than other privately rented properties.

“The people who live in them are often amongst the most vulnerable and disadvantaged members of society. This type of accommodation is the only housing option for many people; it is therefore vital that they are properly regulated.”1

1 http://www.landlordtoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2015/5/coventry-hmo-landlord-prosecuted-for-fire-safety-fail